Wednesday, April 6, 2011

NPS1

After a brutal race two weeks ago in Wexford (lets not talk about that one!) I was really looking forward to the first NPS on my favourite course from last year in Bellurgan, Louth. I managed to get my first win here last year so was hoping to do well there and with this in mind, I went up with the lads a week before to get a few laps of the course in. In some ways the course is the best in Ireland with endless flowing singletrack, testing features but every course has its faults.



I was feeling good and made my way to the start really early to get a spot on the front line. I knew the start was going to be absolutely crucial for this race as it the course quickly turned into tight singletrack with no opportunities to pass. Unfortunately a load of lads pushed in from the side as the S1s went off so I was pushed back to the 2nd/3rd row. I tried to fight hard for position before the start of the singletrack but it was mayhem with 70+ riders all going balls to the wall and swerving all over the place. I got there in about 30th with Oscar from EPIC and we began our race which would last 3.5 out of the 4 laps. The first lap was fairly brutal as we followed a string of riders, stopping at every obstacle but on the second we had broken through a bit and could start chasing down Fergal, Gene and the leaders.

I had a good race apart from the start, I was pushing hard but was not completely wasted at the end so maybe I have a little more to give. Oscar managed to put a gap into me on the last lap that I could never quite close and finished up about a minute ahead of me and 5 other guys. The new categories has led to really close racing which is brilliant but also huge numbers on often tight courses which leads to horrendous and frustrating traffic-jams. I finished up in 10th which I was a little disappointed with but on reflection of the results later on, it was actually pretty alright. The standard this year is ferocious with everybody stepping up their training and how seriously they’re taking racing.

I’ve been half-considering a new bike for a while now and casually asked the shop I work for, The Cycle Superstore if they’d be interested in supporting me. Within a week, I had a Lapierre Pro Race 900 ordered! I can’t wait to get my hands on her and ride with extreme care and attention at all times! Thanks a million to John and the lads in the Superstore for hooking me up. That’s the way to show people that you’re serious about mtbing and I wont forget it. Big up to MAD, the best club in the world too! There's never any doubt that there will be someone to do a pro job on the bottles and generally sort out anything you need before the race. Nice one Oisin Fitz and Aine, as always.



This weekend I’m heading to Wales in the Venga Bus with all the lads for loads of biking and debauchery! After that it’s NPS2 in Cork and then loads of exams and stuff I don’t like thinking about. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment