Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Nationals Run Up

The last few weeks have been pretty up and down. I was feeling excellent after the last race in Lady Dixon park. Feeling better than I ever have in fact. Compared to the first NPS’s this year where I was still wrecked the Wednesday after the race, I was ready to ride again on the Monday evening after Lady Dix. All of those winter training hours were paying off I guess. NPS 6 was supposed to be down in Limerick but they canceled- disastrous for me as I was targeting the later races to do well for the season overall. NPS 7 was in Slade, my home course (well I race there every Tuesday so I’d adopted it for this year!). I headed up on the Thursday to do a few practice laps and on the way home started getting sick. Long story short, I got some sort of vomiting bug that knocked me out for 5 days.

Since the bug, I’ve been doing a load of training. The plan has been to get 2 weeks of very heavy training in to pull back some of the form I had before the bug and then to take it a lot easier this week before the nationals. I went for a spin tonight to see how things stand and I’m happy. I’ve never been faster which is probably not fast enough for elites/ espoir (U23) categories in the nationals but I’m going to give it my best shot. Good race or bad I’ll be sitting on a beach in Croatia next Wednesday. I’d be a hell of a lot happier if I did myself and the bike justice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment