Monday, May 2, 2011

New Bike...!!

After the disappointment of the Pro Race 900 hardtail order being canceled, I wasn't sure if my life long dreams of getting a new bike would ever come through. And then... this baby arrived!




In hindsight, it was a huge blessing in disguise as this bike is a complete and utter rocket. It seems it was exactly what I needed with my first ride on 'er resulting in zero back pain (I've been having vicious back pain for the last good while). This combined with it's lightning acceleration and flattening out of even 3 rocks most savage rock gardens- I fell for her...

The wheels are a work of art with Easton Haven Carbon rims on their hubs. Bling tastic, 1450 grammes, freeride rated AND a 2 year insurance policy. Easton say that I can drive over the wheels in my car and they'll give me a new set. Complete no questions asked insurance for 2 years!



I was a little apprehensive about the teralogic fork as I've never really bought into the whole 'lock out' thing, putting it down to more of a gimick than anything. It really does work I have to say. It takes a little getting used to as cornering and lifting the wheel on flat trails feels weird as the fork is still locked out but the acceleration once you put the power down is truly instantaneous.

The X Control Team frame is a slightly modified X Control with high modular (pffft! like I'd ride that low modular shit) carbon fiber and 100mm of rear travel controlled by an rp23 shock. I haven't done much playing with is as it felt perfect straight away. There's absolutely ZERO bob and it's very active over fast bumps. I was worried it would feel like other full sus's I've ridden in that, yeah- they don't bob, but they suck up a bit of your power when you get out of the saddle. This isn't the case here. It only reacts when it takes a hit and is pretty close to a HT when pushing hard up hill.

So after 2 rides, what can I say that all of these BIG technological developments have done for me. It's the little victories- on Tuesday I got up Tunes etc without any dabs for the first time. On Thursday I took 30 seconds out of my personal best lap time around the Leadmines course to bring me under the 12min mark.

Unfortunately I missed yesterdays race due to exams and will be stuck doing them for the next few weeks. Once I get this week out of the way, hopefully I can get some decent training in and let her loose up north for NPS4. Again, a sincere thanks to CycleSuperstore! for helping me out. This definitely wouldn't have been possible without them and I'm extremely grateful.

Full Spec:
* FRAME: X-CONTROL Race TEAM Full Carbon FPS2 100mm
* FORK: FOX 32 Terralogic Fit 100mm Tapered
* WHEELS: Haven Carbon
* TRANSMISSION: SRAM XX 2x10S
* WEIGHT: 10.1 kg

* Shock: FOX Float RP23 High volume Boost valve
* Rear Mech: SRAM XX Carbon Medium Cage 10S
* Front mech: SRAM XX High Clamp Bottom pull 34.9
* Chainset: SRAM XX Carbon 28x42 175mm
* Wheels: EASTON Haven Carbon
* Tyres: HUTCHINSON Python RLight UST 26x2.00
* Brakes: FORMULA R1 with 160mm rotors Black/Blue XO clamp Ti Bolts
* Shifters: SRAM XX 2x10S
* Saddle: SELLE ITALIA SLR XC Kit Carbonio White
* Seatpost: EASTON EC90 31.6x350
* Bars: EASTON EC90 SL Low riser 635mm
* Stem: EASTON EA90 0° 31.8x90mm

No comments:

Post a Comment